The MidEast Division & Preparedness
A LOCAL FORCE IN READINESS
The Marine Corps League is in a unique position to stand as a local force in readiness, prepared to serve our local communities in the event of an emergency. With our local detachments, connections to Department, Division, and National resources, we have the ability to mobilize support for our members, families, local communities and officials quickly and effectively.
Take a moment to view the resources provided below and on the right, and explore more information available from the Department of Homeland Security and Ready.gov. A few things you, your Detachment and your families can do to prepare for emergencies.
Key things to do NOW:
- How will I receive emergency alerts and warnings?
- What is my shelter plan?
- What is my evacuation route?
- What is my family/household communication plan?
For your Detachment, Department, community and families:
- Ensure your Detachment rosters are updated with the most recent contact information for all members.
- Ensure everyone has a copy of this contact list.
- For members with special needs, ensure they are contacted, prepared, and/or checked upon before, during and after the event.
- Make a Communication Plan, so that in the event of a disaster, you can execute a communication plan or call tree to 1) ensure everyone is OK, and 2) provide assistance to those in need. Practice the plan.
- Use some of the resources on this page to create a contact Wallet Card, readiness plan, or checklist.
- Make a list of who in your Detachment has what type of assistance equipment, and are willing to help. For example, if your Detachment has members who own chainsaws, pickup trucks, locations where extra supplies could be stored, or members with special skills that may be helpful to the Detachment and the community in the event of a disaster, make this list and keep it updated.
- Remember our pets. Prepare for them as well.
- If a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) exists in your area, contact that team and learn what you and your Detachment can do.
- If you live near a military base or community, remember there are families of deployed service members there who may need resources.
- Remember, the NEW: MARINE CORPS LEAGUE DISASTER RELIEF FUND is available. Find out more and how to apply for relief, for yourself or our fellow Marines and families.
Watch "Preparing Makes Sense for Military Families" below.
Below are some toolkits, forms and checklists that can help you and your detachment prepare for emergencies.
If you have a Smartphone, we highly recommend the FEMA app:
Go here to download for your Smartphone: https://www.fema.gov/mobile-app
Tips for preparing to ride out a storm:
Checklists & Guides:
- Consolidated Preparedness Checklist for Detachments and Departments
- Preparedness Toolkits
- Wallet Sized Emergency Communication Plan (PDF)
- Family Emergency Communication Guide (PDF)
- Emergency Plan for Parents or (PDF)
- Emergency Plan for Kids or (PDF)
- Emergency Plan for Commuters (PDF)
- Pet owners PDF
- Steps to make a plan (PDF)
- Tips on emergency alerts and warnings (PDF)
- Protect Critical Documents and Valuables (PDF)
- Hurricane Toolkit
USE TECHNOLOGY TO BE TECH READY
American Red Cross Safe & Well Site - use this to register and inform loved ones that you are safe and well. You register, provide your status online, and others can search the site for your entry and status. This is very helpful during and emergency because phone lines may be jammed or unavailable, but your cell phone could still access the internet.
Visit READY.gov to learn more about using technology in the event of an emergency. You can sign up for FEMA text messages, sign up for the American Red Cross's Safe & Well site that let's you check-in and let family members know your safe. You may even be able to leverage this service to do check-ins for your Detachment.
MARINE CORPS LEAGUE DISASTER RELIEF FUND
Today your MCL team put together a plan to deal with National Disasters that impacts our Marines. The Executive Board including the Foundation President and Treasurer had a telecon and established the criteria for a Marine Corps League Disaster process to help our Marines in areas where disasters occur.
We established a disaster donate and request for aid process this afternoon and it will be put in place for Texas, Louisiana and any disaster in the future. The Foundation will be the lead because of their 501c3 status and every corporation and other non-profit can donate to the Foundation and designate “Disaster Relief”. The Foundation then will provide relief to MCL Departments and Detachments.
We will be updating our communication to the membership as soon as the Foundation creates the documents. We should be operational by Monday. In the meantime send donations to Marine Corps League Foundation and mark the donations, Disaster Relief fund. We have set up a special account at Wells Fargo Bank. This will be a restricted fund for disaster only and different rules as required for Marines needing help. Departments and Detachments are our boots on the ground for vetting and delivering aid. In the near future you will see a new Quick Reaction Team set up for handling these disasters and will be mobilized as required.
Will keep you posted on updates and the documents... including the web sites...
Thank you for your support,
Wendell W. Webb
National Commandant and CEO
Marine Corps League